Thursday, 1 December 2011

Planning

These are my ideas for my preliminary task which is to create a sixth form magazine.

Front Cover
For the front cover of the magazine my initial idea was to have somebody holding an award but I decided against it because I thought it would be to poorly composed and inappropriate for the target audience because not many people would be able to relate to it. Instead I chose to have a picture of a standard student smiling and looking directly into the lense of the camera. The impact that this has is that it makes the reader feel more involved and connected to the magazine, especially if one of their peers is on the front cover. I also chose the have the Title of "OnForm". This is because it has successful connotations and makes the student aspire to be in it because it gives off a positive impression of them with this title above their head. I have also used hierarchy of text size to show what is the most important section of text which is the title. I have used cover lines to try and interest the read and relate it to the reader. This is because if it is related to them they feel more connected to the magazine. I also decided to use the website Kuler to get an appropriate colour scheme for the cover lines and heading. This worked because it made sure that the two colours didn't clash and made sure that one cover line wasn't to bold to make the others look insignificant but also so they didn't just fade into the back ground.

Contents page
I have decided to use two images that relate to the stories on my contents page because this way the reader gets a small incite into what the story says. I also have a picture of a female student reading a book in the bottom left corner of the page. This shows the academic side of the school because the stories are relatively sport related which opens the magazine to a wider audience. I have opted to go for text that is on a slant. This suggests that the magazine is less formal and is like a break for the students from all the work they are doing. I have also included a page number to match with the text to show the reader what page the story is on. This is helpful because it saves the reader from flicking through the whole magazine to find it.











This is the original image that I took to go on the cover of my Sixth form magazine. It shows a student in a suit smiling making direct eye contact with the camera. The suit suggests formality yet the smile suggests that he is enjoying himself. It is a simple image with a plane background. This fits in with what I wanted the magazine to be like; simple yet gets the point of sixth form across to the students. I later cropped and re-sized the image on Photoshop so it fit on the front cover. This made the image not stand out so much that it detracted attention from the key cover lines but at the same time didn't fade into the background.








Music Magazine - these are a few basic idea's that I have had for my music magazine

The magazine is going to be called "Beat" because it reflects the type of music that is inside and it is also easy to say. The genre is going to be Rap/Hip Hop. Inside the magazine will include tour dates, interviews with artists, roomers around the world of rap/hip hop and the meaning behind some of the artists songs. My unique selling point that separates it from any other Hip Hop/Rap magazine is going to be a free song download code every time a new album is released and the magazine is promoting/covering it. I would consider my biggest rivals in the real world would be XXL. This is because it is the most famous magazine that focus' completely on rap/hip hop music. The colour scheme for my front cover is going to be shades of black, white and gray. This is because it is simple and also stands out because not many other magazines have this colour scheme. The main cover line is going to be "Worlds best rapper but getting BIGGER". This is because the key story is going to be about a rapper called "O-Bee" who is a world known rapper but his recent album, "sting like O-Bee" sales are increasing.

Images
The Main front cover image is going to be a medium close up of rapper in a tank top looking down with arms crossed/folded. Hands showing gun gesture. No eye contact shows the individuality of the rapper. It will be in black and white. The hand gesture suggests he is a gangster and that he doesn't conform to the values of society because he does what he wants. The secondary image on the cover will show the same rapper but in a less aggressive or provoking stance, this shows a different side to the person. The photo's on the contents page are going to include a close up of the rapper getting interviewed and a female rapper with an aggressive stance squaring up to the camera suggesting attitude.


These are my flat plans of my music magazine.



























These are the flat plans for my preliminary exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment